Week 8 Game Day 1 Results

CHL: Cardiff Devils 5-6 Växjö Lakers (OT)

In their last game of this season’s Champions Hockey League, the Cardiff Devils took a point as they heartbreakingly lost out in overtime to the reigning Swedish Champions.

The Lakers had raced into a 3-0 lead towards the end of the second period, but the Devils fightback saw them tie the game with three goals in as many minute. Layne Ulmer got the ball rolling at At 29:51, and the with Lakers’  Andersson sitting a 4 minute Boarding minor the Devils kicked into action – Joey Martin (31:18) and Stephen Dixon (32:45) tying things up.

The Lakers didn’t waste any time in getting their lead back in the final period, scoring after just 21 seconds when Janne Pesonen somehow snuck the puck through Ben Bowns from the side of the net.  But the Devils tied the game up with their third powerplay goal of the game and second on the night for Layne Ulmer with a tip off of a Matt Pope shot at 42:31.

At 48:40, Cardiff forward Charles Linglet was called for hooking, but it was the Devils who took the lead when Joey Martin scored short-handed with an unassisted goal at 49:09 to put the Devils up 5-4.

The Devils penalty killers had a busy night and were forced to kill a 5 on 3 advantage for the Lakers when Matthew Myers was called for a 4-minute Late Hit penalty.  The Devils killing continued when Ben Blood was called for delay of game, but the Devils again managed to get back to even strength.  With 2:35 left in the period, Joel Persson scored on a breakaway to tie the game at 5-5 and forced the game into overtime.

It looked like the extra period was going to end without a winner, but with 42 seconds left Joel Persson fired the puck through Bowns for the game winner.


Glasgow Clan 5-4 Dundee Stars (PS)

Dundee Stars are through to the quarter finals, but Glasgow Clan must wait to hear of their fate when Group C is concluded next month, despite beating Stars 5-4 after penalty shots.

Nothing was certain going into this concluding Group B contest and while Stars can look forward to a last eight tie, the wait goes on for their Glasgow counterparts.

And it was Clan who made the dream start as Travis Ehrhardt scored from close range after Brendan Connolly and Matt Beca teed him to open the scoring after 40 seconds.

Jack Musil scored his first Clan goal with a shot from the left side before Craig Peacock added a third, sweeping in from the back post.

Dundee started to claw their way back in the final minute of the second as Matt Marquardt and Mike Sullivan both turn in shots to bring them to within one.

Early third period goals from François Bouchard and Matt Marquardt turned the game in the Stars’ favour as they looked to end a six-game winless run.

But Gerard Hanson – thanks to some great solo work from Tyson Wilson – drew the home side level and taking the game beyond regulation time.

Ultimately, penalty shots were needed and Matt Beca’s proved to be the decisive one to make it two wins on the spin for Glasgow.

Leave a Reply